Wednesday, February 17, 2010

GC Recap #15 - What Have I Done for Someone Today?


For numerous reasons, I have been drawn to President Monson's talk this week. He said, "the needs of others are ever present, and each of us can do something to help someone."

We all have something to give. It could be as simple as a hello or even a quick text to let someone know we are thinking of them. I can't even count the times that my lonliness has disapeared by a friend or family member who has been in-tune enough with the spirit to heed the propmtings on my behalf. I have a particular friend who always seems to know the right times to call and she had blessed my life so, so much. I hope you know who you are...

I want to be the one to asnwer someones prayer, the one to lighten a bureden, to mourn with those that mourn.

President Monson said, "The Savior taught His disciples, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”

"I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives."

So how can I be of servive to others? How can I be the one to answer a prayer? I can I be sesitive enough to the spirit to heed his proptings?

Presidnet Monson answers by saying, "Often we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart. There are those within the sphere of our own influence who, with outstretched hands, cry out, “Is there no balm in Gilead?”

"My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us.

"I am confident it is the intention of each member of the Church to serve and to help those in need. At baptism we covenanted to “bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light.” How many times has your heart been touched as you have witnessed the need of another? How often have you intended to be the one to help? And yet how often has day-to-day living interfered and you’ve left it for others to help, feeling that “oh, surely someone will take care of that need.”

"We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the “thick of thin things.” In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

It is my prayer for myself, and for all those that I love so much, that we will open our eyes to the troubles that surround us. That we will forget about the anticipated tv show or the load of laundrey that needs to be done. I am confident that it we ask the Lord to make the needs of others known unto us, he will make it plainly visable.

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

No comments:

Post a Comment