Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Charity


The third week in the Christlike attributes in Preach My Gospel is Charity.

Concerning charity, I have been pondering the scripture in Moroni 7:46 which reads, "Wherefore my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail," A couple of statements in that scripture have caused further thought with me. First - "if ye have not charity, ye are nothing". I have always understood that if you don't have charity you can not enter into the kingdom of heaven, bu the statement 'ye are nothing' hit me at a new level. Not only can we not enter into the kingdom when this life is over, but we are nothing while we are living. Charity makes us into something. Charity is what we need to become like Christ. Of all the attributes we can attain, I believe this is the greatest. For when we have charity, it seams the others easily fall into place. Which leads me to my second part of this scripture which stood out to me, "which is the greatest of all." It seems that charity is the knowledge that began with faith.

It is so easy to have charity towards those we know and love most. Such as our children. It is easy to love them unconditionally, to fill their every need, to forgive faults, to carry thier burdens and pains for them. The challenge is to have charity for others - for all men. But as we come and know our Savior, as we make Him the center of our lives, he fills our heart with charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment