Thursday, October 1, 2009

Trust

The scriptures teach us that we should become as a little child. "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be forever and ever, unless he......becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth sumbit to his father."

I have been thinking about that this evening.

Tonight Shon stood behind Emma, and explained to he how to keep her body straight and fall back into his arms. Having never done this, she was, of course, nervous and refused to do it. I listened as Shon prompted her "Don't you trust me?" "Would I ever let you fall?" She gave in and enjoyed herself for quite a while. She was fine until Shon moved back a little further. Again I heard him gently remind her that he wouldn't let anything happen to her.

How easily she trusted him! How simple his reassuring words were, and yet they gave so much comfort to her! The last line of that scripture has new meaning for me "even as a child doth submit to his father."

When in life do we become distrusting? When is it that those words, "Don't you trust me? "Would I ever let you fall?" seem to have less of an impact on us? I believe the obvious answer we would hear would be, "In the times that I trusted and was hurt." Were we hurt by man or by God? By man, so then why do we lose our faith and our trust in God when he says to us "Don't you trust me?" And, "Would I ever let you fall?"

I know God will never let us fall. Sometimes it seems that we are falling. I have thought many times - why is God not stopping this hurt? But those are the times when he is literally catching us and, as we trust him, he helps us to stand again.

No comments:

Post a Comment