Monday, August 2, 2010

True Happiness

I have never been a huge fan of Sunday School. Most of the time i just couldn't keep focused. This year, however, I am absolutely enjoying Gospel Doctrine. It's like I am experiencing it for the first time. We have such a wonderful teacher, who really teaches from the heart and always finds a way to bring it home. It seams that every week the lesson is specifically designed for me. Yesterday was no exception. We learned and spoke about healing, healing through the "worldly methods" and healing through the Lord. As part of the lesson, we discussed how we get to the point where our will in aligned with His.

Interestingly enough, I bore my testimony on this very subject in the meeting before. It's been on my mind, for quite some time now, and continues to be on my mind today, so I thought I would share a few of the feelings I have.

How do you get to a point where what you want is what our Father in Heaven wants? This is the question that has been with me for the better part of the year. When you want something so badly, how do you switch your focus if that is not what the Lord wants for you? How do you accept His will, knowing He always knows better? It seams so much easier said than done. I really just did not know how to get to that point. I just didn't even know where to begin.

And still today, if I had to tell you the steps I took to get there, I probably couldn't. What I do know, is that it really is possible. But I believe you need to get to that breaking point, the point where you can truly give it all to the Lord. I got to that point. I had literally done all I could do, and then I humbly turned it over to the Lord. In doing so, I had to accept that maybe what I wanted was just not that important. This had consumed me for far too long, and I was ready to be done.

I have heard story after story about the literal "weight" being lifted off your shoulders. But it happened to me. Without going into too much detail, wanting to keep things sacred so I can have these experienced in the future, I have felt prompted to just say this - As soon as your will is aligened with His, true happiness is felt.

Do I still desire those things that I so badly wanted? Of course I do, but I desire more to be aligned with my Heavenly Father's will. That is where true peace and happiness come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment