Saturday, May 8, 2010

10 Things I Learned From My Mom


“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us when adversity takes the place of prosperity when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”–Washington Irving

10. Read Constantly My mom taught me to love to read. Whether it was scriptures, doctrine or novels, I remember her always reading - learning.

9. Create Fun Family Traditions. Holidays, Outings, Vacations - were always done big at our house. My mom put all of her heart into making these special times extraordinary. From family camping rips to birthdays where the entire day was focused around you - she made these days unforgettable.

8. Always Try To Better Yourself. My mom is always trying to improve herself. She is wonderful as she is, but she is constantly looking for things that will be her just a little more wonderful. Most recently she decided to back to college and has begun writing her very own novel! It is so inspiring.

7. Listen My mom taught me that as important as it is to give advice, many times it is even more important to listen. Mom has always been a great listener, so much in fact that she is many people's 'personal therapist'!

6. Life Gives You Answers My mom has 7 kids, has been married for 30years, and has seen her fair share of trials, adversity and blessings. But these experiences have given her answers. My personal favorite is that she is our family nurse and can usually diagnose just about any symptoms our kids have, tell what to do, if they need to be seen by a Dr or if to just wait it out. It is extremely helpful!

5. Give Your Time To Others My mom is so generous with her time. There is rarely a spare moment when she is not helping another or serving someone in need - within our family or not. She has served in just about every church calling, has taken many people in - from homeless people she had never met, to a sister-in-law of was going through treatment of cancer. She is always running here or there, picking up something for someone or fulfilling a need for another.

4. God, Husband And Kids - In That Order. Mom has always put Heavenly Father first in her life. It is evident in her testimony that she freely shares. She has always then put my dad second. Whether that means, giving him the time he needed (or wanted), supporting him in the numerous time consuming callings he has had, or being there when he comes home for lunch to have a hot meal ready for him. She is a wonderful example of what a wife should be. And we as her children come next. She is oh-so giving to us all, and would do just about anything for each of of us. But, she has stated quite a few times that dad comes first. I remember when I was little hearing this, and how mad it made me. Now I am so grateful for that lesson that she taught me.

3. Fill Your Life With The People You Love My mom has always surrounded herself with those she loved - friends and family. Good people - not things. What a wonderful lesson she has passed down in that example.

2. All Things Are Possible Never give up hope. There have been more than a few times when life and situations seamed hopeless in our family. She is constantly positive that things will work out. And they always do one way or another. From the conversation I had with her, right after her father passed away, to the conversations I have had when Joseph has come out of a long, hard surgery, she has always remained positive and has given me hope.

1. Love Unconditionally. My mom has always love us all with all her heart. Mistakes we have all made, but her love never changes. It is felt in daily interactions, quiet conversations, gifts given from the heart and expressions of love.

I love you so much mom - Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment