Friday, October 30, 2009

Be Still My Soul

Tonight Shon and I were able to attend a special Relief Society musical celebration at the Assembly Hall at Temple Square. The 11 songs came from female LDS artists around the US and was performed by a Bountiful stake choir. Shon's mom was in this choir. As I sat there and watched her sing, while listening to the beautiful words in those songs I couldn't help but think of how far she has come in the past year.

She was diagnosed with cancer over a year ago. Since that time she had hip replacements, a bone marrow transplant, chemo therapy and the list goes on. As anyone could imagine the road had not been an easy one.

But, she has always remained positive. She has such an optimistic outlook on life. She never gives up hope, and is such an inspiration to Shon and I. This past mothers day, we were visiting my mom and my dad held a family council where he asked a few people there to share why their moms are so special. I remember Shon's comments so clearly. He spoke of Wendy being born with one leg slightly shorter than the other. Because of this, he said, she was always in pain. But, she never complained. He said he remembers talking to her soon after she was diagnosed with cancer and she said, "Maybe this is just my trial in life. This will make me stronger." He remembers thinking - "Mom, you have suffered your whole life, trial after trial. How can you be so optimistic? You have had enough trials."

So, as I watched her sing...

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on your side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to your God to order and provide;
in every change God faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: your best, your heavenly friend
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: your God will undertake
to guide the future, as in ages past.
Your hope, your confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
the Christ who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
when we shall be forever with the Lord,
when disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
sorrow for forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

I was filled not only with a new love for this song, but also a new love and respect for my mother-in-law. We love you Wendy.


No comments:

Post a Comment